Friday, May 8, 2009

Could I grant Google access to my brain?

Recently I have noticed a change in my dreams. As a child my worst nightmares were about falling off the railroad bridge in front of my kindergarten, the whirling witch who lived in the hall, and the unability to warn people of evil because I had lost my voice (analyze this!). The funny thing about the latter is that I still have dreams with the same content (no communication possible), but that instead of my silent screaming I find myself desperately texting on my cell phone, but I get all the letters and numbers wrong, there are no numbers at all, or the connection fails. To make a long dream short: I lose my digital voice. Interestingly enough those mashups also happen to me in the daytime. Where did I put the pressure cooker? My first thought is to give it a call and locate it by its ringtone. I subconsciously recognize a vibration - my cell phone? No, just a thunderstorm. Where is the book I just finished reading? My brain suggests searching the shelf with google. Is this scary? I don't think so. Actually I really, really need a strong search engine for my brain. Too many things are sitting in its dark and damp corners (like Latin, knitting or the recipe for lemon pie), inaccessible for the computing powers of my own mind. Unfortunately the buzz words "highly available", "on demand" or "scalability" don't apply to the cloud computing network that is my brain. I would love to get some support from Google here. 

No comments: