Monday, December 1, 2008

Morehead City. Pelicans vs. Dolphins: 36 - 5.



On our way down the ICW to Morehead City the sea suddenly turned from a gray blue into a crisp clear green. It had been a beautiful, calm, sunny, perfect day already, when five dolphins appeared right beside our sailboat and really made my day. Pretty funny that I just didn't know how to react. First thing I did was jump up and down, let go of the helm (which I really shouldn't do...), clap my hands and laugh and point. Then I walked up to the bow, got down on my knees, reached down to the water in order to touch them and made loud "eee-eee-eee-eee"-sounds I thought would attract them. What was I thinking? I know what I was thinking: "DOLPHINSDOLPHINSDOLPHINS!" - that's what I was thinking. What's the name for that disease again? A temporary blackout caused by the presence of large marine mammals? Humm. The dolphins really seemed to enjoy riding our bow wave, but I'm pretty sure they secretly think we humans are stupid. Which of course is not true, because we are the ones that have nice sailboats and cold drinks and they don't. And then there were pelicans. Yeah, pelicans. Actually I feel quite sorry for them, because nobody ever mentions them in their blog like "And then the first three pelicans appeared right beside our boat and I went absolutely crazy!" Sorry, pelicans. Maybe when we're finished with the dolphins everybody will find out that you are the real cool guys. Just wait another decade or too. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

No comments: